Tag: 上海419龙凤论坛 localhost

Sandys Big Impact on Magazines and the Media

No Comments

first_imgInstead of delivering his keynote address Monday afternoon at MediaNext, Condé Nast president Bob Sauerberg announced his offices would be closed as a result of Hurricane Sandy, which bore down on the East Coast over the weekend and into Tuesday.FOLIO:’s MediaNext, postponed from Oct. 29-31 to Jan. 8-10, and Condé Nast were two of many of media outlets affected by the storm.• The sixth annual Designer Visions showcase, sponsored by Hearst titles Elle Décor, Veranda and House Beautiful, was pushed from Oct. 30 to Nov. 12, while Hearst president Michael Clinton cancelled a charity dinner scheduled also scheduled for Tuesday. • Several news organizations, including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, took down paywalls on their websites and apps during the hurricane. Both newspapers also told nonessential personnel to stay home during the storm. The paywall move was not unprecedented for the NYT, which also removed the barrier as Hurricane Irene threatened the eastern U.S. last August.• Seven New Jersey newspapers, including the Star-Ledger, shut down production of their Tuesday editions in the wake of Sandy. “We are still covering this historic storm with all of our resources,” said Star-Ledger publisher Richard Vezza on Monday, but, he added, “there’s just no way to justify putting more people on the road to try to print and deliver a paper when the worst is headed our way right in the middle of our production window.” Tuesday’s papers will be delivered along with the current edition on Wednesday.• Major New York-based websites Huffington Post and Gawker experienced technical difficulties after Sandy knocked out power at their headquarters Monday night. Along with millions of others, their editorial teams took to social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr to keep coverage rolling.• Time got out ahead of social media blitz, commissioning five photographers to cover the hurricane via Instagram.• A spokesman for The Weather Channel called Sandy “our mini Super Bowl,” after record ratings soared over 500 percent to 39 million viewers and website page visits surpassed 300 million. Attention came from advertisers as well as audience as State Farm, The Travelers, Procter & Gamble and Duracell all partnered with TWC in specialized storm coverage. Home improvement retailers and generator providers bought airtime on the channel months ago in anticipation of similar weather disasters.• The “lock-up” period for Facebook employee shareholders was scheduled to end on Monday, letting many of them become millionaires over night. Instead, they’ll have to wait until Wednesday when trading on the New York Stock Exchange resumes.The wait could have been much longer if CNN and The Weather Channel had been right. Each incorrectly reported up to three feet of flooding on the floor of the Exchange. Both networks eventually admitted the mistake. To stay updated on the latest FOLIO: news, become a Facebook fan and follow us on Twitter!last_img read more

Maker Media and Barnes Noble Team Up for InStore Events

No Comments

first_img The in-store events are like experiential event marketing for an event. Barnes & Noble, after all, is Maker Media’s top seller of Make:. More than 10,000 copies of each bimonthly issue are sold at the retailer. And Maker Media put on more than 130 larger-format Maker Faires around the world in 2014, says the company. Yet some smaller niche brands have been immune to broader industry problems. And Maker Media isn’t necessarily focused on the newsstand aspect, anyway. The chain-wide rollout will expose its brands to a much wider audience, says Maker Media CEO Gregg Brockway. “We’re interested in introducing more people to making and the Maker Faire and it’s good for us to get in front of a broader audience and it’s good for Barnes & Noble because they want to experiment with more in-store activities.” Make:, which counts about 200,000 total readers per issue, is planning Mini Maker Faires in Barnes & Noble stores across the country in early November.  “The marketing efforts are very holistic, straddling local and national engagement with driving support from the corporate Barnes & Noble team, including Stephanie Fryling, VP Newsstand and Kathleen Campisano, VP of Toy and Game,” she says. “We’re activating the program at the local level to reflect the needs and wants of those communities, but also promoting the event through our national network of Makers, Maker Faires and our digital properties.”  Magazine single copy sales may be tanking, but at least one publisher is going to great lengths to market its brands at retail. Maker Media, publisher of the DIY tech magazine Make:, is partnering with Barnes & Noble to bring small-scale versions of its Maker Faires into the stores. The program will launch across all 650 retail stores, with marketing support from both companies, says a Maker Media spokesperson. The partnership is interesting because it’s happening during a particularly grim period in newsstand sales. For the first-half of 2015, sales efficiencies hit an all-time low of 26.8 percent and retail sales shrank another 14 percent, compared to the same period last year. Over three days, customers can participate in robotics and 3D printing projects, for example, and hear from prominent makers from their communities.  Barnes & Noble reported a $34.9 million loss for the quarter, its stock closed down almost 30 percent on Wednesday, fueling doom-and-gloom scenarios for brick-and-mortar booksellers. But programs like this one could bring more traffic into the store, and Maker Media will be selling its branded starter kits at the events as well—closing the promotional loop on all three of the company’s brand platforms: media, events and commerce.last_img read more

These pics purportedly show us Samsungs Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10

No Comments

first_img $960 Samsung’s Galaxy Note is coming (all while we keep waiting… Now playing: Watch this: Samsung, LG, Motorola: How soon can we expect 5G phones? Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Phone 4:11 See It 13 Photos An image that purportedly shows the Samsung Galaxy Note 10. WinFuture The Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10 Plus have reportedly been revealed in leaked images. The pictures show a front-facing camera positioned in the middle of the handset and three cameras vertically aligned on the rear of the device, said German tech publication WinFuture. The images come from official marketing, WinFuture reported on Wednesday. Last month saw the revelation that the Note 10 will be launched Aug. 7 during a Samsung Unpacked event at the Barclays Center in New York. The venue is the same place the Korean tech giant launched the Note 9 last year.The images also show volume and power buttons on the left side of the handset, and no Bixby button on the right.Commentary: What the Note 10 has to do to impress us.samsung-galaxy-note-10-plus-rumorWhat the Note 10 Plus will reportedly look like. WinFuture Samsung Indonesia also published a video in a now-deleted tweet that showed some of the productivity features of the Note 10, according to PocketNow. The video “implies that you will no longer need to use multiple devices (desktop, laptop, memory sticks, etc.) to get work done,” the report says.Earlier this week, PocketNow also published pictures of purported Note 10 screen protectors, which it said showed a front camera positioned in the middle of the screen and a vertical alignment of multiple cameras on the rear of the handset.Samsung didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Sprint See It Review • Galaxy Note 8 is powerful, pricey and soon-to-be-replaced The new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 S Pen. Samsung The Note 10 is rumored to have physical buttons for power and volume, no headphone jack, a bigger aspect ratio, a 6.66-inch display — compared with the Note 9’s 6.4-inch screen — a 4,300mAh battery, four rear cameras and a camera on the S Pen.The Korean tech giant is also reportedly looking to make more than one model of the Note 10, including a 5G version like the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G. $699 Best Buy $471 Mentioned Above Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Midnight Black) Preview • Galaxy Note 8 could be the Note 7 you should have had, and then some CNET may get a commission from retail offers. 1 $329 Amazon See It Share your voice Tags Comment Samsung Mobile Tablets Phones Foldable Phones See itlast_img read more

Manhattan DA To Probe Abuse Allegations Against Schneiderman

No Comments

first_imgAPFILE – In this Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017, file photo, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman speaks at a news conference in New York. Schneiderman, who had taken on high-profile roles as an advocate for women’s issues and an antagonist to the policies of President Donald Trump, announced late Monday, May 7, 2018, that he would be resigning from office hours after four women he was romantically involved with accused him of physical violence in accounts published by The New Yorker. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)The Manhattan District Attorney’s office is investigating allegations of violence against women by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who resigned just hours after accounts of abuse by four women.It was a swift and stunning fall for a Democrat who held himself out as a champion of women and a liberal foil to President Donald Trump and who pledged to use his office to hold others accountable for abusing their power.The women described being slapped and choked, verbally abused and threatened by Schneiderman. Some also described him as a heavy drinker.The abuse often happened during what were supposed to be romantic encounters, but the women said the violence was not consensual.Schneiderman, 63, implied in a statement that his conduct was either welcomed by the women, or was not as they described.“In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity. I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in non-consensual sex, which is a line I would not cross,” he said.Danny Frost, a spokesman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr., said in a statement late Monday that prosecutors would look into the claims.It’s an unusual twist: Schneiderman’s office had been tasked with investigating the Manhattan District Attorney’s office over its handling of a 2015 sex assault probe involving Harvey Weinstein that resulted in no criminal charges.NYPD officials said they had not received any complaints, but would investigate thoroughly should anyone come forward.The state’s Solicitor General, Barbara Underwood, will serve as acting Attorney General. She has a long history of legal work including serving in the Eastern District of New York and in the Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens district attorney offices.Schneiderman capitulated quickly after fellow Democrats in New York, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo and U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, called for his resignation.“In the last several hours, serious allegations, which I strongly contest, have been made against me,” he said in a statement late Monday. “While these allegations are unrelated to my professional conduct or the operations of the office, they will effectively prevent me from leading the office’s work at this critical time.” He said he would resign at the close of business on Tuesday.Two women who spoke to The New Yorker on the record, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam, both said the physical abuse escalated over time. The Associated Press is identifying the women because they agreed to tell their stories publicly.“After the most difficult month of my life-I spoke up. For my daughter and for all women. I could not remain silent and encourage other women to be brave for me. I could not,” Manning Barish wrote on Twitter after the story was published.Manning Barish said she was involved with Schneiderman from mid-2013 through the end of 2014. Selvaratnam said she was involved with him from the summer of 2016 until fall 2017.Manning Barish said Schneiderman became violent a few weeks after they began dating. She said she confided in friends, including novelist Salman Rushdie.Selvaratnam, who was born in Sri Lanka, said Schneiderman started calling her his “brown slave” and made her say that she was “his property.”“After I found out that other women had been abused by Attorney-General Schneiderman in a similar manner many years before me, I wondered, who’s next, and knew something needed to be done,” Selvaratnam said in a statement to the AP.Schneiderman has been a vocal supporter of the #MeToo movement. He filed a lawsuit in February against Weinstein and the Weinstein Co. following an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct. Schneiderman said the company broke New York law by failing to protect employees from “pervasive sexual harassment, intimidation and discrimination.”He launched a civil rights probe into the New York City-based company in October after The New York Times and The New Yorker exposed allegations of sexual assault and harassment spanning decades. The company later fired Weinstein.The women accusing Schneiderman said seeing him speak out on these issues was part of what prompted them to come forward.The former state senator became attorney general in 2010 and had been running for re-election this year. He also has been a longtime critic of Trump, and has been part of several efforts to push back against some of his actions in the White House, like the rescinding of protection for immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children.Last month, he urged state lawmakers to close a loophole that he said could be used to fight state charges by anyone who has received a federal pardon for similar federal charges.On Twitter, Donald Trump Jr. offered pointed commentary. He showcased one of Schneiderman’s tweets from last year saying that he would remind President Trump that no one was above the law, with Trump Jr. adding, “You were saying???” Sharelast_img read more